Thursday, April 26, 2012

CC Cycle 1 Literature Planning

Classical Conversations Cycle 1 Literatuare Planning

**link to update post**


I love learning through literature.  I love it when my kids make connections when reading or hearing a story and something they are learning about during school time.  There have been many of those moments this year and I'm praying that there will be many more in the this upcoming year.  Just yesterday we were watching a show with the kids and my son mentioned how the two characters were working together and I brought up how they were compromising.  My son busted out in song, "The Compromise of 1850...."

I have enjoyed using Five in a Row and Homeschool Share's unit studies so I have compiled a list of possible literature titles that are loosely matched up with a History, Geography or Science fact for Classical Conversations Cycle 1.   I want to integrate the subjects as much as possible so that we can see how these subjects fit together and recognize any connections between them.**I must add, we may or may not use this list next year.  We are trying to decide if we should use Memoria Press 1st grade or even Sonlight for this Cycle.  If we do not, we will use this approach for literature.**

If we decide to go with our own eclectic curricula mix, I want to put together a Literature Notebook that has a place for vocabulary words, copywork, drawings, narrations and other important things to note or printables to remember for each book.  I will use the discussion points and activities suggested in either the Five in A Row manual or Homeschool Share unit study.  I tried to only use those resources less I get caught up in major research.  That is such an easy time trap for me and I don't want to spend countless hours 'reinventing the wheel'.

Are you planning on using literature that matches up somehow with any of the CC Cycle 1 subjects?  If so, I would love to see your suggestions.

Here is what I have so far:

*These are just my initial notes, so I do not have author last names or even correct punctuation/capitalization unless otherwise noted.  Most titles can be found at Homeschool Share.

 
week
History
Geography
Book suggestion by History or Geography
Book suggestion by Science
1
Commandments  1-5
Fertile Crescent (from Nomad to Civilization)
Ancient Hebrew (10 Commandments)
Classification: The Salamander Room,
2
Commandments  6-10
Ancient Egypt
The Giraffe that Walked to Paris, Milton
Boy of the Pyramids
The Day of Ahmed’s Secret
The Littlest Frog Rouss
Kingdoms: 
Andy’s Circus, Stopping by the Woods, 
Wild Horses of Sweetbriar, 
Grandfather’s Journey
3
Greek/Roman Gods
Ancient Greece
Norman the Doorman, 
Nico’s Octopus, 
Aesop’s Fables
Animal: Owl Moon, the tale of Peter Rabbit, The Giraffe that Walked to Paris, Warm as Wool
4
7 Wonders
7 Wonders
Liberty Rising, Who built the pyramids (hooper)
Plant Cell: Make Way for Ducklings, Tale of Ferndinad, Miss Rumphius, Linnea’s Windowsill Garden, Tale of Peter Rabbit,
5
Split of the Roman Empire
Ancient Rome
Clown of God, Papa Piccolo, Angelo, Gabriella’s Song,
Invertebrates: Niko’s Octopus, Night of the Moonjellies
6
Fall of Rome
Ancient Rome
Same as above
Vertebrates: When I was Young and in the Mountains
7
Hinduism
Ancient India
Little babaji, What should I make by Nayar, monsoon and monsoon afternoon
Reproduction: Make Way for Ducklings
8
Age of Imperialism
Ancient India
Same as above
Types of Seeds: Miss Rumphius, Follow the Drinking Gourd
9
Confucius
Ancient China
Round is a Mooncake, Fish in the Air, The Empty Pot Lapbook, Love as Strong as Ginger, Daisy Comes Home, The Story About Ping Resources

Parts of plants: same as above, The Parable of the Lily, The empty Pot, Down, Down the Mountain,
10
Heian Empire
Ancient Japan
Leaves/parts: same as above, The trellis and the seed
11
Constantine
Ancient Middle East
Little Humpy and How the Camel got it’s hump,
Flower Parts: The Plant Gardener
12
Muslim Empire
Ancient Middle East
?
Plant Systems: Growing Vegetable Soup
13
Kush
Ancient Africa
The Giraffe that walked to paris, Why  mosquitoes buzz in people’s ears, The Mosai and I, Fatuma’s New Cloth, My Rows and Piles of Coins,
Parts of Earth: Climbing Kansas Mountain, Grandfathers Journey, Hill of Fire
14
Songhai
Ancient Africa
See above
Rocks: The Gift Stone/ Stone Soup
15
Henry the Navigator
Colonial Africa
See above
Mountains: When I was young and in the Mountains, Climbing Kansas Moutain
16
Civilizations of Meso America
Meso America (Olmec, Inca, Mayan)
The umbrella, The Parrot Tico Tango, Abuela’s Weave,
Volcanoes: Rocks in His head, little island, hill of fire
17
Aztecs
MesoAmerica (Aztec)
Hill of Fire, Isabel’s House of Butterflies, the Old Man and his Door, The Gullywasher 
Parts of Volcanoes: see above
18
Mound Builders
Native Americans
Long Night Moon, Hiawatha,
Ocean Floor: Time of Wonder
19
Anasazi
Native Americans
Same as above
Ocean Zones: Very Last First Time, Hello Ocean, Atlantic
20
Mexican Revolution
Mexican Revolution
Same as week 16
Atmosphere: Amber on the Mountain, Harold and the Purple Crayon
21
Exploration of Canada
Canada Explorers
All those secrets of the world, Cranberry Thanksgiving, Mirette on the High Wire,
Circles: Three Snow Bears, Rechenka, Curious George, Me on the Map, katy and the big snow,
22
British North America Act
Canada culture
The Three Snow Bears, Fight of the union
Weather fronts: A Pair of Red Clogs, Wild Horses of Sweetbriar
23
Liberation of South America
South America (History, liberation)
On the Pampas, Gauchada, chucaro wild pony on the pampas, This Place is Wet, a pen pal for Max
Clouds: Mr. Gumpy’s Motor Car, Three Names
24
Napoleon
South America (Culture)
See Above
Madeline, Giraffe that Walked to Paris
Globe Markings: Curious George, Me on the Map, Katy and the Big Snow, The Rag Coat, Henry the Castaway, Mapping Penny’s World

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this. I am starting CC next year with my oldest who will be in kindergarten. I want to use FIAR as well. This helped me start getting thinking about how to mesh them. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I think I will just follow you around for awhile :) I am so glad you are tutoring next year. The kids will be blessed by you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so helpful, thank you for sharing! I found your blog through the Half-a-Hundred Acre Wood link-up! I'll be sure to check back for more of your great planning tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is awesome!!!!! thanks for your time well spent!! very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathie - I would like to write a featured post about your blog on my site; I think a lot of my readers would be interested in a link to this post. Let me know if you're interested! There's a style questionnaire link at the top of the homepage. http://www.myhomeschoolstyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete