Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Homeschool Room Tour 2011

I missed it.  I missed the official week to post our homeschool room for the Not Back to School Blog Hop from Heart of the Matter.  Then, I noticed that I could still upload my blog and thought 'why not?'.  
There are about three areas of the house where we find ourselves 'doing school'.  The school/ play room, the kitchen table, and the living room.  We have a pretty open concept floor play and with that some rooms have no walls or half walls.  So furniture placement is quite interesting.  

Inspiration
I came across some great vintage flashcards (If you consider a year after I was born vintage…hahaha)  this summer and my husband had these wooden toy airplanes from his childhood that I used as the jumping off point.  I was inspired after hearing the scripture on the “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” 2 Corinthians 3:17.  I had it on my heart when I was re-arranging the school room so I thought I’d type it up as a reminder.
Okay so here’s the tour minus the kitchen---I totally forgot about that  room with my new large dry erase board and shelf.  I guess that will be another post sometime in the future.

 The schoolroom:

The view from the Living Room.  The desks and chairs are from Ikea.  The bookcases are from Target.
Bud and Sissy sit here.  The plastic drawers are for: supplies, "My special Things" (everyone needs a place for their own stuff), and papers.
Memo boards for the work they want to show DH when he gets home.  The Green Box is for the school work he can do on his own and also fun activity sheets.
The flashcard  display

I just used clear thumbtacks to hold them up.


DH hung two rows of laundry string with laundry clips to hold the art work.


The furniture

Here are the airplanes that belonged to my husband when he was young.  The book case I got from Craigslist for a super great deal and the bins I bought 6 years ago fit perfectly.
The quote that was on my heart and mind before school started.  The photo cube is from Oriental Trading. 
We still have a VCR and some of their favorite shows are on VHS but storing them has been a chore because of their bulk.  So I thought why not put them in that bookcase.  If you look real close we have a whole bin of Miss Pattycake and The Donut Man.  Anyone else remember those?

Here is the toy bin that I got from Craigslist as a set with the bookcase.  I love having it...but not so crazy about it in the school room.  So until I can have a dedicated play space...here it is.

This small bookcase was a piece I bought for Bud's nursery.  I use this mainly as learning toys or fun extra books for the kids to read.  I arrange them like this so they can see them better and in turn put them away easier.

Book Nook

These are actually spice racks from Ikea.  Bud put them together with very little help from DH and with some help from Sis.  I use them for 'currently' reading books or the ones next in the rotation. 
below those bookshelves are my two main curriculum boxes.  The one on the right is more like a 'locker' where I store the materials we use daily.  The other one is where I store printables and gather project supplies for the week.
The Kitchen

Our Kitchen Table is where DH does morning Bible time with the kids, where I have one on one school time with Bud and Sis and where most arts and crafts happen.  Tablecloth is on during mealtime and comes off for crafts.

Sis getting ready for her one on one time with Mom. 
DH drawings of the days of Creation and this week's memory verse is show.  The white board is on DH had in college and the shelf below I picked up at a garage sale.  I clip posters on pant hangers and hang them from the pegs on the shelf.
I love clip boards for some reason.  So, I have three up on the kitchen column.  (I have these odd walls/columns here and there.)  These fit great there and one holds behavior chart, daily schedule and the last one is our Family Rules.

Thanks for stopping by!

Linking up to: Not Back to School Blog Hop - School Room Week 2011

* Our Curriculum Post from Not Back to School Blog Hop - Curriculum Week 2011
* Our Curriculum Post from Not Back to School Blog Hop - Curriculum Week 2010

* Our Homeschool Post from Not Back to School Blog Hop - School Room Week 2010
* Our Student Pictures from Not Back to School Blog Hope - Student Photos Week 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment